Consistency in the abhorrence of violence is the hallmark of the Church's teaching on the death penalty. In the Culture of Life and the Death Penalty the U.S. Bishops also point to the fact that state-sanctioned killing diminishes us all, the application of capital punishment is flawed and inconsistent, and that the state has other ways of punishing criminals.
More information and resources
- The Gospel of Life and Capital Punishment
- Pope Francis Speaks About the Death Penalty
- Archbishop José Gomez on the Death Penalty (English and Spanish video)
- Archbishop Salvatore J. Condileone Statement (English and Spanish)
- California Fact Sheet from Catholic Mobilizing Network
- Renewing Our Call to End the Death Penalty - Bulletin Insert (US Conference of Catholic Bishops)
- Papal Quotes on Ending the Death Penalty (in English & Spanish)
- Bulletin Announcements on Ending the Death Penalty (En Español)
Elsewhere on www.cacatholic.org...