Complete text - Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship (USCCB)
- Summary Bulletin Insert | en Español (2016 version, coming soon)
- Parish Guidelines for Advocacy, Lobbying and Political Action
Backgrounders & Bulletin Inserts
- Reverence for Life
- What the Catholic Church Teaches about End of Life
- La enseñanza de la Iglesia católica sobre el final de la vida
- Human Dignity
- Restorative Justice
- Faith in the Public Square
- Family Life
- Civil Dialogue Bulletin Insert (Español) (USCCB)
- Conscience Formation Bulletin Insert (Español) (USCCB)
- How to Lobby
- How to Contact Your Elected Officials Bulletin Insert | (Español) (USCCB)
- Do's and Don'ts Guidelines During Election Season (USCCB)
- Voter Education and Voter Registration | (Español) (USCCB)
- Tips for Conducting Candidate Forums | (Español) | (USCCB)
- Novena for Faithful Citizenship | (Español) (USCCB)
- Liturgy and Prayer Suggestions | (Español) (USCCB)
- Questions for Reflection and Discussion on Faithful Citizenship (USCCB)
Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship provides this list of references for Catholics interested in a full purview of the Church’s teachings on social justice and moral issues:
- Catechism of the Catholic Church (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: Libreria Editrice Vaticana—United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), 2000.
- Pope Francis. Laudato Si' (On Care for Our Common Home). Washington, DC: USCCB, 2015
- Pope Francis. Evangelii Gaudium (The Joy of the Gospel). Washington, DC: USCCB, 2013.
- Pope Benedict XVI. Caritas in Veritate (Charity in Truth). Washington, DC: USCCB, 2009.
- Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace. Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church. Washington, DC. USCCB, 2004.
- Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Doctrinal Note on Some Questions Regarding the Participation of Catholics in Political Life. In Readings on Catholics in Political Life. Washington, DC: USCCB, 2006.
- Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Considerations Regarding Proposals to Give Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons, 2003.
- Pope Benedict XVI. Deus Caritas Est (God Is Love). Washington, DC: USCCB, 2006.
- Pope Benedict XVI. Sacramentum Caritatis (The Sacrament of Charity). Washington, DC: USCCB, 2007.
- Pope John XXIII. Pacem in Terris (Peace on Earth). Washington, DC: USCCB, 1963.
- Pope John Paul II. Christifideles Laici (On the Vocation and the Mission of the Lay Faithful in the Church and in the World). Washington, DC: USCCB, 1989.
- Pope John Paul II. Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life). Washington, DC: USCCB, 1995.
- Pope John Paul II. Veritatis Splendor (The Splendor of Truth). Washington, DC: USCCB, 1993.
- Second Vatican Council. Dignitatis Humanae (Declaration on Religious Liberty). Vatican website.
- Second Vatican Council. Gaudium et Spes (Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World). Vatican website.
- USCCB. Living the Gospel of Life: A Challenge to American Catholics. Washington, DC: USCCB, 1998.
Other resources, recommended by the USCCB, can be found at: http://www.usccb.org/issues-and- action/faithful-citizenship/forming-consciences-for-faithful-citizenship-statements.cfm. These include the U.S. bishops’ statements on such values as protecting human life, promoting family life, pursuing social justice and practicing global solidarity.
In addition, the USCCB website – www.usccb.org –references major policy-related speeches of Pope Francis during his apostolic visit to the United States and the United Nations in September 2015.